Want to know something about me?
I love breakfast. Not sorta-kinda like it. I absolutely adore breakfast. It could count as an obsession (if you want to be all judgmental), or rather just one girl’s love for tasty food in the morning.
Omelets, oatmeal, french toast, pancakes, yogurt parfait, cereal, or simply buttered toast. Not to mention coffee, lattes, chai teas all taste the best in the morning (or 2pm when I’m craving my second jolt of caffeine). Oh and did I mention bacon? I love the fact that bacon and sausage are perfectly acceptable parts of my diet in the morning.
When I was studying abroad in Thailand (which needs to be another series of posts) I had multiple conversations with my friend Megan about how I should start up a coffee and breakfast shop called Morningstar Cafe. I envisioned this Cafe in a small college town down a cobblestone side street. It would be filled with students, families, and other lovers of delectable treats staying for several hours sitting with their breakfast scones, muffins, and coffees chatting by a fireplace. Because of course Morningstar Cafe would have a fireplace, and big overstuffed leather chairs too. And free WiFi because we’re not stingy like that.
Alas Morningstar Cafe hasn’t come into realization yet, although I get bonus points for creating a blog with the name (and if you’re a little confused by the name you can read about it here). But if I did open my dream cafe it would have this on the menu: Grilled Banana Sandwiches.
Warm banana goodness in between french toast. My mouth is watering already.
I wish I could take credit for this fabulous idea, but it was actually Caitlin’s over at Healthy Tipping Point. She deserves all the credit for this tasty creation, and I’m so glad she wrote about it!
All you need are (for 1 serving):
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 ripe Banana
- 2 eggs
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon/Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Heat a pat of butter in a pan (you could save on some calories and just use some Pam, but let’s be honest butter makes everything better)
- Dredge your bread in the whisked eggs.
- Over medium heat place the bread in the pan, along with the banana (sliced lengthwise).
- On the one side of the bread sprinkle your Cinnamon/Pumpkin Spice. When the one side is cooked, flip and sprinkle brown sugar on the other side. Heat until bread is golden brown and banana is warmed.
- Now make a sandwich with your toast and banana. And to feel festive, top with powdered sugar and berries. Enjoy!
It was incredibly easy and gave me the feeling like I was pampering myself. But because you are skipping out on the extra cream and sugar that typically comes with french toast, the dish doesn’t taste overly sweet or leave the heavy thud in your stomach after you eat it.
It’s a great dish for elevating a mid-week slump, improving an already good mood, or making your husband wish he liked bananas (sorry honey!)
Are there other breakfast fanatics out there? What should I be (eventually) serving on the Morningstar Cafe’s menu?