Have you ever completely spaced out and forgotten something or forgot somewhere you needed to be?
I did, yesterday. Completely and utterly forgot an important meeting I was supposed to attend with a professor. I only realized this 3 hours after the fact because I was writing the date down. And then it clicked, Dec 7th I was supposed to have a meeting at 1pm. Shit.
I went through all the stages of freak-outed-ness
- Scream profanities to self and computer
- Look at calendar and planner several times to fully realize yes you missed it!
- Mumble more profanities while walking next door to tell friend that yes in fact I am a space cadet and she should never rely on me for anything anymore
- Attempt to go to professor’s office to see if he might still be there. He isn’t. More profanity mumbling.
- Write apologetic email basically saying I am an idiot and that my first child is his if he forgives me for this heinous crime (OK that didn’t get said but there was a lot of grovelling).
- Continue to stew in my personal frustration while eating chocolate (chocolate really helps at a time like this).
- Decide to get sorry self to the gym because endorphins cure all.
- Post workout everything is back into perspective.
I thought of a million reasons why I forgot this meeting…. the fact it is finals’ week, I’ve started a new allergy medication, my typical Tuesday meeting got moved around in my schedule, I was so immersed in my dissertation I can’t think straight, I’m trying to stay on top of my Xmas shopping, the Ravens lost to the Steelers on Sunday (damn you Big Ben!), the moon wasn’t aligned with Jupiter, I was wearing a purple sweater, the humidity was at 52% or….. I didn’t look at my planner yesterday morning.
I don’t know who this woman is but I prefer the tooth fairy to come visit me not this crazy lady.
It was a combination of reason why I completely spaced and all of them are pretty valid (alright maybe not some of them). Basically I just made a mistake, and thankfully one that doesn’t have huge consequences to it. I am probably beating myself up way worse than the professor ever could. Lesson learned. Now go check your planner to see if you have any important deadlines!
Have you had a similar experience?