Happy Birthday to Me!!
Birthdays are pretty fabulous occasions because it’s the one day of the year everyone says nice things to you, you get presents, and you get to eat copious amounts of dessert. Um, fabulous! They also tend to me the time in the year I take inventory of my life and make my new years resolutions. I guess you could say my calendar year revolves around me. *Reminder I was an only child most of my life so I’m a little self-centered when it comes to birthdays.
So here are my hopes/wishes/challenges to myself in my 28th year:
1. Finish this god forsaken dissertation and defend this bad boy in June.
2. Even though this is out of my hands now, I hope to end up in an internship placement (and even if it’s not my top choice) I’ll make it work and embrace every challenge (remind me I said this when I’m knee deep in paper work and drinking 5 cups of coffee a day)
3. Successfully run a half marathon in May with the aim of staying in the 9.30 min/mi range. Perhaps more intensive training right now would help, that will be next week’s task.
4. Stop procrastinating. So let’s rephrase #3 to training for the half is this week’s task.
5. Eat more organically. All the time and not some of the time like I do now.
6. Live out the these last 5 months of living in Santa Barbara to the fullest. This will probably be the last time I am living 5 minute from the beach with 70 degree weather year round. Oh man I’m already getting nervous….
7. Trust my gut instinct instead of my over rationalizing brain.
8. Continue to remember that the number on the scale is not the sole determinant of my emotional state. And remind myself the goal of exercise is not to become “skinny” but to feel more confident and become more healthy.
9. Write what I want to write about. I started this blog out with the best of intentions but at times have written posts to please others because it was a popular topic or a post that got a lot of comments in another blog. I’m still figuring out where I want to take TMP, but as I stated in #7 I think this decision is going to have to come from my heart and not the head.
10. Tell the important people in my life how much they mean to me all the time, and not just special occasions.
I’ll start by saying how grateful I am to have you all in my life! I cannot thank you as readers because you are the reason I keep writing. I love every single one of your comments as they inspire me to make TMP better, more truthful, more honest, and more neurotic like I am So thank you thank you thank you.
Now I’m off to eat cake!